Pelosi Statement on Trump FY2021 Budget
Feb 10, 2020
Contact: Speaker’s Press Office,
Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released this statement on President Trump’s full Budget Request for fiscal year 2021:
“President Trump’s latest budget continues his relentless attacks on the health and economic security of hard-working Americans. It is a complete reversal of the promises he made in the campaign and a contradiction of the statements he made at the State of the Union.
• Cutting Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, President Trump has broken his promises to seniors and families by slashing half a trillion dollars from Medicare, taking $900 billion from the lifeline of Medicaid, and cutting Social Security Disability Insurance;
• Hurting students, the Trump Budget cuts federal student loan initiatives by $170 billion, eliminates the Public Service Loan Forgiveness initiative, and harms children in our public schools by cutting billions from the Department of Education;
• Abandoning farmers and hungry families, while American farmers declare bankruptcy at record rates, the Trump Budget slashes nearly $60 billion from the farmer safety net and steals more than $180 billion in nutrition assistance from families struggling to keep food on the table;
• Cutting investments in jobs and the future of our communities, the Trump Budget breaks the bipartisan budget agreement last year by slashing a total of $1.6 trillion dollars in the health, education, safety and global security of the American people;
• Contributing to the national debt, by extending the GOP Tax Scam for the rich.
“The federal budget is supposed to be a statement of national values. Once again, the President is showing just how little he values the good health, financial security and well-being of hard-working American families. The President's budget is anti-growth, does not create good-paying jobs and increases the national debt.”
# # #