Federal Casework

One of Congresswoman Pelosi's most important jobs is helping her constituents when they are having problems with federal agencies. Here are a few quick questions to help you determine if Congresswoman Pelosi can assist you in your case:

Do you reside in the 12th Congressional District of the State of California?

Congressional courtesy dictates that each Member of Congress has the privilege and responsibility to serve his or her own constituents. If you are not sure which district you live in, please visit www.house.gov. You can enter your address and Zip Code to determine your Congressional Representative.

Does your case involve a federal agency?

As a federal representative, Congresswoman Pelosi is able to make inquiries of federal agencies. If your case involves state, county or local government, your public school district or other public agencies, please visit www.statelocalgov.net/state-ca.cfm or www.sfgov.org for contact information for your elected state and local representatives.

Does the case you are concerned about involve you?

Due to privacy laws, Congresswoman Pelosi must have the written consent of her constituent in order to make an official inquiry. You can print out and sign the Privacy Authorization Release form here.

Is your situation a legal dispute?

As a member of the Legislative Branch, Congresswoman Pelosi is unable to become involved in court cases or legal issues. This restriction is due to the separation of powers as outlined in the Constitution. This restriction applies to both civil and criminal matters.

Is your case within the agency’s normal processing time?

It is rare that a case can be “sped up” for any reason other than extreme hardship. If you believe your situation merits faster processing, please contact Congresswoman Pelosi's district office in San Francisco at (415) 556-4862. The Congresswoman's staff will discuss your situation and help you determine the proper strategy.

How do I receive a privacy release?

Once you have asked yourself these questions and determined that your case is something Congresswoman Pelosi can assist you with, you must complete a Privacy Authorization Release form so that the Congresswoman's office can initiate an agency inquiry on your behalf.

“For federal issues solely dealing with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (permanent residence, citizenship and work authorization, etc), please fill out our USCIS privacy release authorization. For issues dealing with all other federal agencies, please fill out our general privacy release authorization. If you have further questions, please contact Congresswoman Pelosi’s District Office at (415) 556-4862.”

What assistance can you expect from my office?

Congresswoman Pelosi's office is here to assist constituents with problems involving a federal agency. Although the Congresswoman is unable to assure a specific outcome regarding a particular case, Congresswoman Pelosi may make inquiries as to the status of your case, obtain additional information or direct you to appropriate resources or services. The Congresswoman's role is to assure you a fair and thorough review of your case and to seek a timely response from the agency.

If you are still unsure whether Congresswoman Pelosi can assist you with your case, please contact Congresswoman Pelosi's district office in San Francisco at (415) 556-4862. The Congresswoman's staff will discuss your situation with you and work with you to determine the best course of action.