Pelosi Names Conferees to Elementary and Secondary Elementary School Act Bill Conference
Contact: Drew Hammill/Evangeline George, 202-226-7616
Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi today named seven House Democratic Members to serve on a conference committee to complete a final ESEA agreement.
“Fifty years ago, we enacted into law the landmark Elementary and Secondary Education Act because, as Americans, we recognized that education is the single most important investment a nation can make in its future and a family can make in its children,” Leader Pelosi said. “Nothing returns more money to the Treasury than investments in education – from early childhood to lifelong learning.
“We have a moral obligation to ensure that every child, in every zip code, has access to a world-class education. With the leadership of our ESEA conferees, Democrats will continue to champion strong education for every child,” Leader Pelosi continued. “A robust ESEA will provide a pathway to help close the achievement gap for our children and prepare for the challenges of the 21st century. It empowers teachers, schools and districts to tailor to local needs and ensures states set high academic standards so students are career and college-ready.”
The Democratic Conferees to the ESEA Conference Committee are:
• Congressman Bobby Scott of Virginia, Ranking Member, Committee on Education & Workforce
• Congresswoman Marcia Fudge of Ohio
• Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici of Oregon
• Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado
• Congresswoman Susan Davis of California
• Congresswoman Frederica Wilson of Florida
• Congresswoman Katherine Clark of Massachusetts
# # #