The demand for federally-assisted affordable housing in San Francisco far exceeds the supply. The San Francisco Housing Authority maintains its own waiting list, as do individual federally-subsidized properties throughout San Francisco. Congresswoman Pelosi's staff may assist individual public housing or Section 8 voucher holders and landlords who participate in those federal programs with management and rental issues.

Where can I get information on Housing Authority housing complexes and other rental property?

Housing Authority developments utilize two main affordable housing programs:

Public Housing
Public Housing provides rental assistance subsidized by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for eligible tenants residing at housing developments that are primarily HUD-financed and owned by the Housing Authority. Eligible low income tenants pay 30% of their gross adjusted income for rent. The rental assistance is attached to the unit so tenants cannot "take" the assistance with them if they move. Section 8 Vouchers are NOT accepted. Click here for an application.

Project Based Section 8 Housing
Project Based Section 8 Housing also provides HUD-subsidized rental assistance. Eligible low-income tenants pay 30% of their gross adjusted income for rent. The rental assistance is attached to the unit so tenants cannot "take" the assistance with them if they move. Section 8 Vouchers are not accepted for project-based units, however, Vouchers may be used at other units in the development that are not part of the project-based program. The waitlist is currently closed. If you are currently on the waitlist you can find some Frequently Asked Questions here

What agency administers Federal Rent Subsidy Programs in San Francisco?

In 1937, the United States Congress passed the United States Housing Act to provide decent homes for low-income families. The San Francisco Board of Supervisors established the San Francisco Housing Authority (SFHA) in 1938. The SFHA is the oldest housing authority in California. Housing Authorities are unique entities established by a combination of federal, state and local actions. While the Mayor appoints the seven members of the SFHA's Board of Commissioners, the SFHA is an independent agency and a state chartered corporation. Two Commissioners are SFHA residents who represent the families, seniors, and disabled persons who are SFHA residents.

The Housing Authority's mission is to provide for nearly 12,000 public housing residents and 21,000 Section 8 participants. For an overview of the programs administered by the Housing Authority, please go to the on-line directory of health & human services in San Francisco.

You can contact the Housing Authority at:
440 Turk Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415.554.1200

Resources to Help Homeowners Avoid Foreclosure
A number of federal and state agencies and nonprofit organizations have developed foreclosure prevention programs to help homeowners who are having trouble with their home loans.

  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): HUD provides a variety of resources for homeowners at risk of foreclosure. The Department funds free housing counseling services throughout the country. HUD approved counselors can help homeowners understand the law and their options, organize their finances, and represent borrowers in negotiations with their lenders if this assistance is needed. Phone Number 1-800-569-4287
  • Office of the Comptroller of Currency: This internet site reinforces the importance of fair and honest treatment for bank customers. The site is designed to provide answers and solutions for customers of national banks. It covers topics about national banks such as credit cards, checking accounts, overdraft fees, mortgages, and credit reports. This site also advises consumers on how to file a complaint if they are not satisfied with a resolution from a national bank. https://www.helpwithmybank.gov/
  • State Attorneys General
    Homeowners who suspect that they have been a victim of fraud, misleading information, or other deceptive practices, should contact their state Attorney General’s office. These offices investigate complaints and sue lenders and other mortgage originators for alleged illegal behavior. https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/loanmod

Where can I get more information on Housing resources?

General Housing Resources

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)
HUD Listing of approved home foreclosure counselors
HUD Listing of privately-owned subsidized developments
Mayor’s Office of Housing

Tenant / Landlord Issues and Housing Discrimination
Fair Housing Policies
Bay Area Legal Aid

Eviction Help
Eviction Defense Collaborative
Bay Area Legal Aid

Community Housing Help
SF Tenants’ Union
Housing Rights Counseling
SF Rent Board