Press Release by Congresswoman Pelosi

Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi


California Sitting on $16 Million Federal Fund to Help Poor Elderly; Rep. Pelosi and 11 Calif. Members Call on Governor to Act

March 12, 1998


Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and 11 of her Democratic House colleagues from California are urging Gov. Pete Wilson to act immediately on securing $15.9 million in federal dollars to pay the Medicare Part B premiums for poor seniors. "It's unconscionable to think that California could lose millions of dollars designed to ease the financial woes of the low-income elderly, but that is exactly what could happen if Governor fails to make this a priority," Pelosi said.

In a March 11th letter to the Governor, Rep. Pelosi pointed out that this program is essentially cost-free requiring no matching funds. "The state would only have to absorb the minimal costs of expanding the program to thousands of needy recipients. If the State fails to enroll these people by September 30th, the money is gone," Pelosi said.

Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-CA), one of the signers of the letter, also expressed her concern over the Governor's failure to act. "Low-income elderly in California should not be shut out from the financial assistance we fought so hard to include when we passed a balanced budget last year," said Woolsey, a Member of the House Budget Committee.

A copy of the letter and signatures is attached to this release. In addition to Rep. Pelosi, the letter was signed by Reps. George Miller, Sam Farr, Lucille Roybal-Allard, Calvin Dooley, Matthew Martinez, Henry Waxman, Lynn Woolsey, Howard Berman, Ellen Tauscher, Pete Stark and Juanita Millender-McDonald.

Att: Letter


Current Presss Releases
2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003
2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997 | 1996